If you find this manual useful, how about a donation of $2 to:
M. Butkus, 29 Lake Ave., High Bridge, NJ 08829
This will help me to continue to host this site, buy new manuals, and pay their shipping costs.
It'll make you feel better, won't it?
my main Camera Manual page
CLICK HERE FOR A PDF VERSION OF THIS PAGE
Attaching the flash unit ............5
Photography mode .................5
Program AE flash photography ...6
Aperture-priority AE flash photography ...6
Shutter bias AE flash photography ...7
Manual flash photography ...7
Flash in daylight ...7
Correct exposure ...8
Detaching the flash unit from the camera ...8
Proper care .....8
1. Flash Unit
2. Flash Unit's Hook
3. Flash Unit's Guide Pin
4. Power Switch
5. Ready Lamp
6. Lock Cancel Button
The flash unit is recharged by batteries installed in the camera.
* When the outer frame of the symbol blinks in the LCD Panel of camera body, don't use the flash. After replacing with new batteries, you can use the flash unit.
* Generally, the performance of batteries drop in cold conditions. When the flash unit is used at a temperature lower than 0° C (32° F), warm the batteries and insert them into the camera just before shooting.4www.butkus.org
ATTACHING THE FLASH UNIT TO THE CAMERA
Attach by hooking the flash unit's hook onto the camera's holder (1) then by pressing the unit's guide pin into the camera's guide hole until it clicks into place (2). (Fig. 1)
When the f lash unit is used with the XR-M, XR-X, the shutter speed and f-stop number are automatically set when the camera is set to program AE photography. Flash photography is by a direct metering system and light is measuring off the film plane to control the flash duration.
Program AE Finish Photography
· Set the camera to the program AE photography
· Select the program according to the picture-taking conditions, referring to the following table.
|PD||F11|| 0.5 - 1.1
0.5 - 2.2
|when you want maximum depth of focus.|
|P||F5.6||0. 5 - 2.1
0.5 - 4.2
|General snap shots.4www.butkus.org|
|PA||F2.8||0.5 - 4.3
0.5 - 8.6
|A distant subject.
taking because of shorter recycling time.
· Push the Power Switch upwards to turn on. (Fig. 2)
· When the flash is fully charged, the Ready Lamp lights up, and the Flash Ready Indicator lights up in the Viewfinder. (Fig. 3) Then take picture.
Aperture-priority AE Flash Photography
With the XR-M, XR-X, the TTL Direct Auto Flash is available with all f-stop numbers for total creative depth of field control. Use wider lens opening (F2.0, F2.8) to take a distant subject or to reduce f lash recycling time. Use smaller lens opening (F11, F16) to increase depth of field.
1. Set the desired f-stop number.
2. Set the shutter to "AUTO"
Automatic flash range at each f
|f-stop||Automatic flash range|
|f1.4||1.0 (3.3~) - 8.5 m (28')|
|2||0.7 (2.3' - 6.0 m (19.8')|
|2.8||0.5 (1.6' - 4.3 m (14.1')|
|4||0.5 (1.63—3.0 m (9.9')|
|5.6||0.5 (1.6' - 2.1 m (6.9')|
|8||0.5 (1.6') - 1.5 m (4.9')|
|11||0 5 (1.6 '- 1.1 m (3.6')|
|16||05 (1.6' - 0.8 m (2.6')|
|22||0.5 (1.6' - 0.6 m (1.9')|
Shutter Bias AE Flash Photography
1. Set the shutter speed to 1/60 sec. or lower.
2. Set the f-stop Ring to "P"
3. Set the desired program mode.
* If you set the shutter speed to 1/125 sec. through 1/2000 sec., the shutter speed is automatically set to 1/100 sec. It is designed to prevent underexposed pictures.
Manual Flash Photography
1. Set the shutter speed to 1/60 sec. or lower.4www.butkus.org
2. The pre-set shutter speed is shown by the indicator in the Viewfinder. A second indicator blinks to indicate a "Suggested" speed at a given f-stop.
3. When the f-stop Ring is tufted and the Shutter Speed Indicator and the blinking indicator showing correct exposure overlap each other. This indicates that correct exposure is set.
* Depending on the picture-taking conditions, there may be eclipsing (only center image is lit) when the following lenses are used.
1) When zoom lenses (except 35—70 mm) are used at a wide angle up to 50 mm.FLASH IN DAYLIGHT
2) When wide-angle lenses up to 35 mm are used.
The subject is affected by strong background light when taking pictures in back light. Dark pictures (face,
etc.) may be produced. Properly lit pictures can be obtained by using flash even in daylight, this is known
1) Set the camera to the program AE flash photography mode.
2) Turn the Power Switch on to pop up flash unit.
3) When the flash is fully charged, the Ready Lamp lights up, and the Flash Ready Indicator lights up in the Viewfinder. Then take picture providing that you do not see an overexposure (>) mark.
* For synchronized flash photography in daylight, the daylight fill flash indicator will light.
* At the set photography mode, when there Is sufficient external lighting for a properly-exposed picture, the intensity of the flash will be 1/4 as compared to when the flash is the only light source
* The photography range of fill flash is about twice the distance displayed when in the program AE flash photography mode.
The Flash Ready Indicator blinks in the Viewfinder for about one second when the flash shot is made with the correct exposure.
DETACHING THE FLASH UNIT FROM THE CAMERA
While pressing the lock cancel button (1), pull the unit in the direction of the arrow (2). (Fig. 4)
PROPER CARE OF YOUR FLASH
* Even if you do not use the flash for an extended period of time, it should be tested from time to time in order to properly maintain the condenser.
* A high voltage is generated in the circuitry. It is very dangerous to take it apart or to touch the inside of the flash unit. It should be taken to a camera dealer or a recognized Ricoh service station for all repairs.
* Avoid exposing the flash unit to dust, humidity, rain, seawater, etc.
* Do not leave it in hot or humid condition such as direct sunlight as this will cause malfunction of the flash unit.
* Clean the body of the flash unit with a dry soft cloth. Be especially careful not to dirty the contact points. Never use solvent such as thinner, benzene, etc.
Type: Thyristorized TTL direct Automatic flash unit
Guide Number: 12 (ISO 100, m)
Recycling Time: About 3 sec.
Coverage Angle: 45° on vertical and 60° on horizontal 35 mm wide angle lens
Power Source: By batteries installed in the camera 4www.butkus.org
Dimensions: 32 (W) x 73.5 (H) x 31.5 (D) mm